The main use for an Alert Logic Threat Manager virtual appliance is for on-premises deployments to virtual machines.
If you have experience with VMWare management tools and virtual machine installation, you can install Alert Logic user interface (UI) as a virtual appliance into your existing VMWare virtualized infrastructure.
The instructions below are not a complete guide to configure vSphere or virtual data centers. VMWare offers more information regarding vSphere.
Before you download the virtual appliance, review the virtual appliance requirements.
- Click the Settings icon ().
- The Details page includes your Unique Registration Key, which you need to install the virtual appliance.
- Click Install Guides & Downloads.
- On the left navigation panel, click Network IDS.
- Click VIRTUAL APPLIANCES.
- Download the virtual appliance.
The appliance is configured with a 40 GB virtual drive.
- Save the virtual appliance image to your target machine.
- Import the file into VSphere.
- Power on the virtual machine.
- Configure your IP address. To manually assign an address, log into a serial console with the following credentials: setup/7739521
- In your browser, type: http://<YourVirtualApplianceIPAddress>.
- Paste in your Unique Registration ID.
- Click Start Claim Process. A screen informing you your appliance is provisioning appears. For status details, click Go To Detailed Status .
An assignment policy is a set of rules that indicates to the appliance whether to accept or ignore traffic.
Threat Manager automatically creates a default assignment policy for each appliance. However, you need not use this default policy and can create your own.
To create an assignment policy:
- At the top of the Alert Logic console, from the drop-down menu, select Threat Manager.
- In the left navigation, under Policies, click Assignment.
- Select the table view.
- In the table of assignment policies, in the Actions column, click the gear icon ().
- Select New Appliance Assignment Policy. A configuration area will expand and display on your screen.
- In the Appliance Assignment Policy Name field, enter a descriptive name.
- In the Appliances field, select the virtual appliance you just created.
- Click Save.
To assign a policy to a protected host:
- In the Alert Logic console, click CONFIGURATION, and then click Deployments.
- Click the All Deployments tile.
- In the left navigation pane, click Networks and Hosts, and then click the Protected Hosts tab.
- Click the pencil icon ( ) for the desired protected host.
- Select Use an Existing Assignment Policy.
- From the Existing Assignment Policy drop-down menu, select the assignment policy you want to use.
- Click SAVE.